Did you know that UCI Medical Center is the only level 1 Trauma Center in Orange County?
In addition to treating the most serious trauma cases, UCI also has a Cancer Center and Burn Center.
Every day, patients at UCI Medical Center require blood or platelets to help fight cancer, to replace what is lost in a trauma, or to treat a chronic disease.
The Center transfuses approximately 1000 units of blood to their patients each month. Platelets are most commonly used for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, trauma patients, and premature babies.
Patients of the medical center rely on more than 20,000 blood products each year for their survival.
Currently, UCI is able to collect only about 70% of what is needed through local donations. They purchase the other 30%.
However, the medical community is currently experiencing a national shortage of platelets and Type O blood.
During this national shortage, UCI can no longer rely on blood being available to purchase in order to meet their needs. Therefore, they need to increase the number of donors.
Donating blood is an easy and safe way to save a life. And since the donations are used locally, the life you save may be a family member, a friend, or a neighbor.
The UCI campus blood donor center (located on the UCI campus) is one of the few university blood donor centers in the country. The nurses and phlebotomists at the UC Irvine campus donor center all have years of experience and are known for making every donor feel special and cared for.
In addition to donating blood individually, the UCI Bloodmobile is available to go anywhere within Orange County so that you can host a blood drive through your business, organization, school, or place of worship.
To learn more about UCI’s campus blood donor center, click here.
To make an appointment to donate blood, click here.
Latest posts by ICNV Staff (see all)
- Things To Do This Weekend In Irvine - December 3, 2019
- Coalition of Veterans & Longtime Irvine Residents Serve Mayor Christina Shea & Councilmember Michael Carroll with Notice of Recall - November 25, 2019
- Irvine citizens gathering signatures for initiative campaign to build Veterans Memorial Park & Cemetery - November 24, 2019