Irvine residents by the hundreds continue to stand up and speak out — by signing the Great Park Veterans Cemetery Petition. This surge of Petition signers is in reaction to the City Council’s very unpopular June 6th vote — 3-to-2 — to refuse $30 million in State funding and halt construction of the 125-acre Veterans Cemetery in the Great Park.
Instead, Mayor Donald Wagner and Councilmembers Christina Shea and Melissa Fox are planning — later this summer — to give away the 125-acre Great Park Veterans Cemetery site to developer FivePoint Communities, along with zoning approval for massive office, commercial and residential development that will bring tens of thousands of additional cars to north Irvine every day.
If you have not already done so, please take this opportunity to join your friends and neighbors in signing the Great Park Veterans Cemetery Petition. Add your name and comments in support of this important cause, and ask your friends and neighbors to sign the Petition too. (Click here to sign the Petition)
Published below are just a few of the hundreds of comments received from Petition signers.
- As a veteran and as an Irvine family descendent, I believe the Veterans Memorial Park and Cemetery should be located in the Great Park, as originally planned. In 1942, the Marine Corps purchased 4,000 acres from the Irvine family, which would become home to MCAS El Toro. Tens of thousands of Marines served at El Toro over the decades to follow, and many would appreciate the opportunity to be laid to rest where they served. Veterans, local and otherwise, will have no such affinity for a plot of land located next to two major freeways. It’s unfortunate that Mayor Wagner and Councilmembers Shea and Fox proved so malleable in the hands of the developers.
—Russ Penniman, Rear Admiral, USN (ret)
- The grounds at the Great Park are sacred. By moving the Veterans Cemetery, we are disrespecting the veterans and their families. Doing the right thing is more important than making money.
- What has happened to our original Great Park plan? This is a land giveaway.
- I now regret having voted for Melissa Fox.
- Shea, Carroll & Kuo Vote to Derail the Veterans Memorial Park & Cemetery…Again! - October 28, 2020
- Voting in Irvine:Resources Page - October 27, 2020
- The Silverado Canyon Fire: Mandatory Evacuations Lifted in Irvine - October 27, 2020