There have now been more than 300,000 cases of COVID-19 in Orange County and more than 5,500 reported deaths. Even though Irvine has fared much better than our County’s underserved communities, the virus has taken the lives of 107 of our Irvine neighbors.
Over the past several months, COVID-19 has become a pandemic of the unvaccinated and children who are too young to be vaccinated. We know that we can prevent the transmission of the virus by ensuring that all eligible individuals are vaccinated and by making sure we all continue to wear a mask and follow the California Department of Public Health guidelines.
Throughout the pandemic, it has been very difficult for parents to separate fact from fiction from opinion.
To help, Orange County pediatricians, UC Irvine, and the Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) are working together to provide accurate information that parents can trust.
I’m proud to be a member of a working group that has been established within the health care and education community to help families make data-driven decisions for their children.
The UCI Healthy School Restart Working Group represents the following organizations:
- American Academy of Pediatrics Orange County (AAP-OC)
- Children’s Health Orange County (CHOC)
- Orange County Department of Education (OCDE)
- Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA)
- University of California Irvine (UCI)
I’d like to publicly thank our group’s founder and leader, Dan Cooper, MD, PhD Associate Vice Chancellor for Clinical and Translational Science and Professor of Pediatrics at UCI School of Medicine.
Click here to review the resources developed by our working group, and be sure to share these documents with your friends and neighbors.
- Vaccinations Continue to Be Our Way Out of the Pandemic - April 15, 2022
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Two Years In - February 1, 2022
- Another COVID-19 Surge Across Orange County & Here in Irvine - January 9, 2022