At its March 14th meeting, the City Council gave its approval to begin detailed design and construction of a bundle of Great Park projects, with a goal of completing them within five years.
Meeting as the Great Park Board, the Council green-lighted these projects for Phase 1 of the Great Park Framework Plan:
- Veterans Memorial Park & Gardens
- Botanical Gardens
- Perimeter Park around the Veterans Memorial Park & Gardens
- Cultural Terrace, which includes Pretend City, the Flying Leathernecks Museum, Orange County Music & Dance, Hangar 369 Community Center and Bridge to the Sports Park
- Food & Beverage Facilities at the Sports Park
- Maintenance Facility at the Sports Park
Supporters of USA Water Polo asked the Council to complete the proposed aquatics facility by 2028, during Phase 1.
To fund the aquatics facility, some proposed Phase 1 projects may have to be pushed to Phase 2, according to City Manager Oliver Chi.
Projects at risk of being moved to Phase 2 include:
- The Bosque (a landscaped corridor with trails)
- Administrative Facility in the Sports Park
- Two Lakes in the Heart of the Great Park
- Full Circle Farm
- Timeline Bridge
Even with those projects potentially pushed back to Phase 2, Chi said there still may not be enough funding left to complete the aquatics center, which is estimated to cost $90 million.
Councilmember Larry Agran said: “Clearly, we are making progress in identifying some outstanding Phase 1 deliverables. But, we’ve got more work to do to ensure that the final projects listed in Phase 1 truly reflect the priorities of Irvine residents.”
Councilmember Agran joined Mayor Farrah Khan and Councilmember Mike Carroll in voting to tentatively move forward with Phase 1, while Councilmembers Tammy Kim and Kathleen Treseder voted NO.
- Landmark Deal to Be Signed by the City to Acquire the All American Plant & Restore the Land to Its Original State - March 24, 2023
- Council Green-Lights Phase 1 of Great Park Framework Plan - March 18, 2023
- City Council Again Questions Contract for Electric Charging Stations in the Great Park - March 15, 2023