Irvine residents by the hundreds continue to stand up and speak out — by signing the Great Park Veterans Cemetery Petition. This surge of Petition signers is in reaction to the City Council’s very unpopular June 6th vote — 3-to-2 — to refuse $30 million in State funding and halt construction of the 125-acre Veterans Cemetery in the Great Park.
Instead, Mayor Donald Wagner and Councilmembers Christina Shea and Melissa Fox are planning — later this summer — to give away the 125-acre Great Park Veterans Cemetery site to developer FivePoint Communities, along with zoning approval for massive office, commercial and residential development that will bring tens of thousands of additional cars to north Irvine every day.
If you have not already done so, please take this opportunity to join your friends and neighbors in signing the Great Park Veterans Cemetery Petition. Add your name and comments in support of this important cause, and ask your friends and neighbors to sign the Petition too. (click here to sign)
Published below are just a few of the hundreds of comments received from petition signers.
• The proposed land-swap represents an incomprehensible change in the Council’s previously adopted resolutions. The FivePoint development in the northern part of the Great Park will produce a nearly astronomical windfall profit to FivePoint, while burdening Irvine with massive additional traffic congestion and other infrastructure costs (police, fire, roads, schools, etc.). Irvine should stay with its previously adopted and well thought out plan to include the Veterans Cemetery within the Great Park.
• Stop the FivePoint land-swap and honor veterans with a dignified Cemetery in the Great Park.
• My family moved to Irvine in 1978. The area now known as the Great Park is the heart of the former Marine Base. This — and only this — location is the proper place for the Veterans Cemetery.
Latest posts by ICNV Staff (see all)
- City Council Cancels Veterans Cemetery at the ARDA Site - August 18, 2019
- UCI is the First Public University Named #1 by Money Magazine - August 18, 2019
- October 12&13:Irvine Global Village - August 18, 2019