A Book Group for You
Have you ever wanted to be part of a book group…but you weren’t sure if you wanted to make the commitment? If so, this might be the answer for you.
The beautiful Newport Beach Public Library hosts a monthly book group meeting — and you are welcome to attend, even if you haven’t read the book! The Library is located just a few miles away.
Here are the upcoming books — and the dates of the group meetings:
- March 8 – The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth McKenzie. This is a book about love and family, war and nature, new money and old money. It will give you insight into the way we live now.
- April 12 – The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis. The adventure begins in 1923 when 15-year-old Hattie flees Georgia and settles in Philadelphia hoping for a better chance at life. Follow her as she proceeds on that search.
- May 10 – Shelter by Jung Yun. Kyung Cho is a young father burdened by a house and lifestyle he cannot afford. Follow Cho and his family as they live through trying times, and see how the Cho family discovers hope.
- June 14 – Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sara Baume. The story takes place over four seasons as a misfit of a man adopts a misfit dog! This novel takes us to places we would never experience, yet helps us with our understanding of the world and ourselves.
All of these books are available at the Newport Beach Library, and other public libraries. They are also on the bookshelves of your favorite local bookstores. Let’s remember to support our local book merchants!
For more information about the Newport Beach Public Library, go to: www.nbplfoundation.org.
Latest posts by Marilyn Vassos (see all)
- CultureCorner: A Book Group For You - February 28, 2017
- Impressive in Irvine: Orange County: A Literary Field Guide - January 31, 2017
- CultureCorner: A Cultural Event - January 31, 2017