I am often asked if Apple Pay is safe. The answer is Yes!
Apple Pay is both safe and awesome! If you use Apple Pay, you already know what I mean. If you use an iPhone or Apple Watch and don’t use Apple Pay, you are missing a great feature.
WHAT IS APPLE PAY?
Apple Pay lets you make credit card or debit card purchases by only using your iPhone or Apple Watch. You don’t have to reach into your wallet or purse and pull out a credit card. It’s easier and quicker than using a card.
HOW DO I USE APPLE PAY?
Hold your finger on the Home button, or double press the side button and look at the screen, then place your iPhone near the point-of-sale terminal that displays one of these symbols.
In less than a second your iPhone will tap and the deal is done. You can also pay with your Apple Watch. Simply double click the side button and hold your watch near the point-of-sale terminal. You don’t even need your iPhone with you. Apple Pay debits the credit card of your choice so you don’t have to apply for any additional credit.
WHY IS IT SECURE?
Apple Pay is more secure than using a credit card directly because the merchant never has access to your credit card number. That’s right. The merchant can’t see and store your credit card number, so if the store is hacked, the bad guys don’t get your credit card info. Apple Pay creates a temporary, one-time use, electronic token to pass to the merchant. It is useless to a hacker. Apple doesn’t keep any transactional information when you make purchases through Apple Pay, whether online or in store. Your purchases can’t be tied back to you.
WHO ACCEPTS APPLE PAY?
Many stores in Irvine take Apple Pay, including:
- Crown Ace Hardware
- Peet’s Coffee
- Rite Aid
- Wholesome Choice
HOW DO I FIND OUT IF A SHOP OR RESTAURANT ACCEPTS APPLE PAY?
Use the Apple Maps app on your iPhone to locate the establishment, then view its info by tapping on the pop-up balloon. Look for the Apple Pay symbol beneath the address details.
HOW DO I ADD A CREDIT CARD TO APPLE PAY ON MY IPHONE?
Follow these steps:
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap the plus (+) sign.
- Follow the steps to add a new card. You don’t even have to type in your name or the card number. It will use your iPhone’s camera to capture the card image. Your iPhone will do the rest.
- Tap Next. Your bank or card issuer will verify your information and decide if you can use your card with Apple Pay.
- After your bank or issuer verifies your card, tap Next. Then start using Apple Pay.
HOW DO I SEE A LIST OF ALL MY RECENT APPLE PAY TRANSACTIONS?
To view all your recent Apple Pay credit card activity, open the Wallet app on your iPhone and select the credit card in which you want to review the charges.
HOW DO I SEND MONEY TO FRIENDS IN iMESSAGES USING APPLE PAY?
You can send payments directly to people using iMessages and Apple Pay.
Here’s how. Apple Cash is Apple’s system for sending and receiving payments with Apple Pay through iMessage. Setting up Apple Cash (see below) also adds the new Apple Cash card to the Wallet app on your iPhone, letting you use the balance of that card to make payments in physical stores or online just as you would with any other credit or debit card attached to Apple Pay.
HOW DO I SET UP APPLE CASH?
Below are the simple steps for the one-time setup:
- Open Settings.
- Tap Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap Apple Cash toggle to turn it on.
- Follow the directions and wait for the rest of the setup to complete automatically.
HOW DO I ADD MONEY TO MY APPLE CASH CARD?
Add money to your Apple Cash card from your bank debit card by following these steps:
- Open Wallet on your iPhone.
- Tap on your Apple Cash card.
- Tap the button (…) in the top-right corner.
- Tap Add Money.
- Enter the amount of money you want to add to your card using either the pre-defined buttons or by entering a custom amount on the number pad.
- Tap Add.
If a friend sends you cash through iMessage, it goes into your Apple Cash card. To spend the money, tap your Apple Cash card the next time you use Apple Pay.